gecKo mathematics texts ...
- Fill a gap in existing materials and strategies
- Encourage students to fully understand methods and rules and mathematical concepts rather than memorizing them
- Encourage students to ask questions and discover procedures
- Can be used as a stand alone curriculum or be used to supplement other materials
- Cover the same content as American textbooks in a more efficient and competent way
Examine the chart below and the Content and Curriculum Domains of Korean Mathematics to discover the serendipity of how gecKo mathematics aligns with the NCTM (National Council of Teachers of Mathematics) Standards, 2000, with the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education Grade Level Expectations, 2004, and with the NCTM Curriculum Focal Points, 2008.
Instructional programs should enable all students to...
|gecKo mathematics Principles|
|Understand the meanings of operations and how they relate to one another.||gecKo mathematics focuses on the underlying principles of mathematics such as the inverse relationships in operations and the base ten decimal system in place value.|
|Apply and adapt a variety of appropriate strategies to solve problems.||Multiple ways of modeling and multiple strategies are seen throughout curriculum.|
|Recognize reasoning and proof as fundamental aspects of mathematics.||Exploration and investigation are key parts of the teaching process in gecKo mathematics.|
|Understand how mathematical ideas interconnect and build on one another to produce a coherent whole.||Constructs are built on a foundation of blocks. As each function is introduced, its relation to previously learned functions is explored.|